Industry/Academia Partnerships Matching Program
The University developed the “Searching for the seeds of the next generation of basic science technology program” and “Financial and career support for Ph.D. students in the joint research program” to expand joint research, to support Ph.D. students with their careers and to increase retention rates.
○Searching for the seeds of the next generation of basic science technology program
【Call out for suggestions on joint research plans】
The Open Innovation Platform established the “Searching for the seeds of the next generation of basic science technology program”. The purposes of the program are to promote the basic sciences, accumulate research results and contribute to society, as well as to strengthen business development skills.
In this program, the University makes suggestions regarding joint research in the areas in which corporations ask for suggestions. There is a “general type” where researchers (faculty and administrative staff) make suggestions and a “Ph.D. students type” where both Ph.D. students and academic advisors make suggestions together.
○“Financial and career support for Ph.D. students in the joint research program
The “Financial and career support for Ph.D. students in the joint research program” is a part of the Searching for the seeds of the next generation of basic science technology program (Ph.D. students type). After the approval from academic advisors and under their supervision, students who are in the Ph.D. program (hereinafter referred to as Ph.D. students) take the initiative in joint research with corporations according to the theme of their doctoral thesis. They can receive financial support from joint research funds. This not only helps students to make a career path, but also improves their ability to set goals and solve problems in Graduate School education as well as improve their ability to work along with others. The purpose of the program is to promote the creation and development of new areas of study and collaboratory research at the University.
【Ph.D. students’ standing】
- ● Students who join this program take the initiative in joint research with corporations and are hired by Kyushu University as researchers (DC joint research fellow) of the joint research program.
- ● DC joint research fellows are paid by direct expenditures of the joint research program.
- ● The hourly fee is 1,900 yen and the amount of work for the joint research program is less than 30 hours per week.
- ● In general, the University-side of the representative of researchers is an academic advisor.
- ● The Open Innovation Platform supports students by managing the progress of the joint research program and handling the results so that joint research is promoted without interfering with the student's completion of their degree.